1. Yan, P., Ji, F., Wang, J., Fan, J., Guan, W., and Chen, Q. (2013). “Pilot-scale test of an advanced, integrated wastewater treatment process with sludge reduction, inorganic solids separation, phosphorus recovery, and enhanced nutrient removal (SIPER).” J. Bioresource Technology, 142, 483-489.
2. Wang, Q., Ye, L., Jiang, G., and Yuan, Z. (2013). “A free nitrous acid (FNA)-based technology for reducing sludge production.” J. Water Research, 47, 3663-3672.
3. Pathak, A., Dastidar, M.G., and Sreekrishnan, T.R. (2009). “Bioleaching of heavy metals from sewage sludge: A review.” Journal of Environmental Management, 90, 2343-2353.
4. Maeda, T., Yoshimura, T., Shimazu, T., and Shirai, Y. (2009). “Enhanced production of lactic acid with reducing excess sludge by lactate fermentation.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 168, 656-663.
5. Tyagi, V.K., and Lo, S-L. (2011). “Application of physico-chemical pretreatment methods to enhance the sludge disintegration and subsequent anaerobic digestion: An up to date review.” J. Rev. Environ. Sci. Biotechnol., 10, 215-242.
6. Liu, Y., and Tay, J-H. (2001). “Strategy for minimization of excess sludge production from the activated sludge process.” J. Biotechnology Advances, 19, 97-107.
7. Elissen, H.J.H., Mulder, W.J., Hendrickx, T.L.G., and Elbersen, H.W. (2010). “Aquatic worms grown on biosolids: Biomass composition and potential applications.” J. Bioresource Technology, 101, 804-811.
8. Farzadkia, M., Jafarzadeh, N., Loveimi asl, L., and Ghalambor, A. (2008). “Wastewater sludge stabilization using lime a case study of west Ahwaz wastewater treatment plant.” Journal of Water and Wastewater, Vol. 19, No. 4 (68), 67-71. (In Persian)
9. Jamal, A., Norieh, N., and Farzadkia, M. (2011). “Comparison of aerobic and lime stabilization methods for evaluation of sewage sludge reuse.” Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 4 (2),182-190.
10. Farzadkia, M., Mirzaiee, R., Ghaffarkhani, M., and Bagheri, F. (2013). “Microbial quality assessment of disposal effluent and sludge from four decentralized wastewater.” Journal of Health in the Field, 1, 24-30.
11. Farzadkia, M., Jaafarzadeh, N., and Loveimi Asl, L. (2009). “Optimization of bacteriological quality of biosolids by lime addition.” Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, 6 (1), 29-34.
12. Farzadkia, M. (2002). “Investigation of sludge stabilization and reuse in four small treatment plants of Tehran city.” Scientific Journal of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, 9, 51-55. (In Persian)
13. Pilli, S., Bhunia, P., Yan, S., LeBlanc, R.J., Tyagi, R.D., and Surampalli, R.Y. (2011). “Ultrasonic pretreatment of sludge: A review.” J. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 18, 1-18.
14. Farzadkia, M., and Norieh, N. (2003). “Evaluation of aerobic digester Potential in stabilization of sludge in wastewater treatment of Serkan Province.” J. Scientific Journal of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, 30, 31-37. (In Persian)
15. Takdastan, A., Mehrdadi, N., and Azimi, A. A. (2009). “Investigation of the excess sludge reduction in SBR by oxidizing some sludge by ozone.” Iran. J. Chem. Chem. Eng., 28, 94-104.
16. Momeni, S.A.R., and Mirbagheri, S.A. (2005). “Minimization of excess sludge in activated sludge systems.” Journal of Water and Wastewater, Vol. 16, No.4 (56), 54-61. (In Persian)
17. Zhang, G., He, J., Zhang, P., and Zhang, J. (2009). “Ultrasonic reduction of excess sludge from activated sludge system II: Urban sewage treatment.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 164,1105-1109.
18. Salsabil, M.R., Prorot, A., Casellas, M., and Dagot, C. (2009). “Pre-treatment of activated sludge: Effect of sonication on aerobic and anaerobic digestibility.” Chemical Engineering Journal., 148, 327-335.
19. Na, S-H., Shon, and H-K., and Kim, J-H. (2011). “Minimization of excess sludge and cryptic growth of microorganisms by alkaline treatment of activated sludge.” Korean J. Chem. Eng., 28, 164-169.
20. Hazrati, H., and Shaygan, J. (2011). “Review of sludge reduction methods in activated sludge systems.” Iranian Chemical Engineering Journal., 10, 67-75.
21. Khursheed, A., and Kazmi, A.A. (2011). “Retrospective of ecological approaches to excess sludge reduction.” J. Water Research., 45, 4287-4310.
22. Wang, J., Zhao, Q., JIN, W., and Lin, J. (2008). “Mechanism on minimization of excess sludge in oxic-settlinganaerobic (OSA) process.” J. Front. Environ. Sci. Engin. China , 2, 36-43.
23. Chen, G-H., An, K-J., Saby, Se., Brois, E., and Djafer, M. (2003). “Possible cause of excess sludge reduction in anoxic-settling-anaerobic activated sludge process (OSA process).” J. Water Research, 37, 3855-3866.
24. Guowei, C., Pengge, X., Deqian, X., and Hanqing, Y. (2007). “Comparison between inhibitor and uncoupler for minimizing excess sludge production of an activated sludge process.” J. Front. Environ. Sci. Engin. China, 1, 63-66
25. Foladori, P., Tamburini, S., and Bruni, L. (2010). “Bacteria permeabilisation and disruption caused by sludge reduction technologies evaluated by flow cytometry.” J. Water Research, 44, 4888-4899.
26. Wei, Y., Wang, Y., Guo, X., and Liu, J. (2009). “Sludge reduction potential of the activated sludge process by integrating an oligochaete reactor.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 163, 87-91.
27. Gallard, H., and Von Gunten, U. (2002). “Chlorination of natural organic matter: Kinetics of chlorination and of THM formation.” J. Water Research, 36, 65-74.
28. Farooq, R., Rehman, F., Baig, S., and Sadique, M. (2009). “The effect of ultrasonic irradiation on the anaerobic digestion of activated sludge.” World Applied Sciences Journal, 6, 234-237.
29. Liu, Y. (2003). “Chemically reduced excess sludge production in the activated sludge process.”
J. Chemosphere, 50, 1-7.
30. Tian, Y., Li, Z., and Lu, Y. (2012). “Changes in characteristics of soluble microbial products and extracellular polymeric substances in membrane bioreactor coupled with worm reactor: Relation to membrane fouling.” J. Bioresource Technology, 122, 62-69.
31. Yang, J., Liu, J., Xing, M., Lu, Z., and Yan, Q. (2013). “Effect of earthworms on the biochemical characterization of biofilms in vermifiltration treatment of excess sludge.” J. Bioresource Technology, 143, 10-17.
32. Pe´rez-Elvira, S.I., Nieto Diez, P., and Fdz-Polanco, F. (2006). “Sludge minimisation technologies.” Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/Technology, 5, 375-398.
33. Ghyoot, W., and Verstraete, W. (1999). “Reduced sludge production in a two-stage membrane-assisted bioreactor.” J. Wat. Res., 34, 205-215.
34. Lee, N., and Welander, T. (1996). “Use of protozoa and metazoa for decreasing sludge production in aerobic wastewater treatment.” J. Biotechnol. Lett., 18, 429-434.
35. Ratsak, C.H., Maarsen, K.A., and Kooijman, S.A.L.M. (1996). “Effects of protozoa on carbon mineralization in activated sludge.” J. Water Research , 30, 1-12.
36. Wei, Y., and Liu, J. (2006). “Sludge reduction with a novel combined worm-reactor.” J. Hydrobiologia, 564, 213-222.
37. Hait, S., and Tare, V. (2011). “Optimizing vermistabilization of waste activated sludge using vermicompost as bulking material.” J. Waste Management, 31, 502-511.
38. Zhao, L., Wang, Y., Yang, J., and Xing, M. (2010). “Earthworm–microorganism interactions: A strategy to stabilize domestic wastewater sludge.” J. Water Research, 44, 2572-2582.
39. Pasha Zanousi, S., Ayati, B., and Ganjidoust, H. (2012). “ Investigation of tubifex worms potential in mass and volume reduction of sludge wastewater treatment plants in laboratory scale.” Journal of Water and Wastewater, Vol. 24, No. 4 (88), 59-65. (In Persian)
40. Li, M., Nakhla, G., and Zhu, J. (2013). “Impact of worm predation on pseudo-steady-state of the circulating fluidized bed biofilm reactor.” J. Bioresource Technology, 128, 281-289.
41. Mosleh, Y.Y., Paris-Palacios, S.V., and Ahmed, M.T. (2007). “Effects of chitosan on oxidative stress and metallothioneins in aquatic worm tubifex (Oligochaeta, Tubificidae).” J. Chemosphere, 67,167-175.
42. Zhang, X., Tian, Y., Wang, Q., Chen, L., and Wang, X. (2012). “Heavy metal distribution and speciation during sludge reduction using aquatic worms.” J. Bioresource Technology, 126, 41-47.
43. Tamis, J., Van Schouwenburg, G., Kleerebezem, R., and van Loosdrecht, M.C.M. (2011). “ A full scale worm reactor for efficient sludge reduction by predation in a wastewater treatment plant.” Water Research, 45, 5916-5924.
44. Wang, Q., Wang, Z., Wu, Z., and Han, X. (2011). “Sludge reduction and process performance in a submerged membrane bioreactor with aquatic worms.” Chemical Engineering Journal ,172, 929-935.
45. Elissen, H.J.H., Hendrickx, T.L.G., Temmink, H., and Buisman, C.J.N. (2006). “A new reactor concept for sludge reduction using aquatic worms.” J. Water Research, 40, 3713-3718.
46. Lee, N., and Welander, T. (1996). “Reducing sludge production in aerobic wastewater treatment through manipulation of the ecosystem.” J. Water Research, 30,1781-1790.
47. Xue-song, G., Jun-xin, L., Yuan-song, W., and Lin, L. (2007). “ Sludge reduction with Tubificidae and the impact on the performance of the wastewater treatment process.” Journal of Environmental Sciences, 19,
48. Hendrickx, T.L.G., Temmink, H., Elissen, H., and Buisman, C.J.N. (2009). “Aquatic worms eating waste sludge in a continuous system.” J. Bioresource Technology, 100,4642-4648.
49. Hendrickx, TLG., Elissen, HHJ., Temmink, H., and Buisman, C.J.N. (2011). “Operation of an aquatic worm reactor suitable for sludge reduction at large scale.” J. Water Research, 45, 4923-4929.
50. Liang, P., Huang, X., Qian, Y., Wei, Y., and Ding, G. (2006). “Determination and comparison of sludge reduction rates caused by microfaunas predation.” J. Bioresource Technology, 97, 854-861.
51. Guo, W-Q., Yang, S-S., Xiang, W-S., Wang, X-J., and Ren, N-Q. (2013). “Minimization of excess sludge production by in-situ activated sludge treatment processes: A comprehensive review.” J. Biotechnology Advances , 31 (8), 1386-1396.
52. Ratsak, C.H. (2001). “Effects of Nais elinguis on the performance of an activated sludge plant.” J. Hydrobiologia, 463, 217-222.
53. Buys, B.R., Klapwijk, A., Elissen, H., and Rulkens, W.H. (2008). “Development of a test method to assess the sludge reduction potential of aquatic organisms in activated sludge.” J. Bioresource Technology., 99, 8360-8366.
54. Song, B., and Chen, X. (2009). “Effect of Aeolosoma hemprichi on excess activated sludge reduction.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 162, 300-304.
55. Hendrickx, T.L.G., Temmink, H., and Elissen, H., and Buisman, C.J.N. (2010). “Aquatic worms eat sludge: Mass balances and processing of worm faeces.” Journal of Hazardous Materials ,177, 633-638.
56. Basim, Y., Farzadkia, M., Jaafarzadeh, N., and Hendrickx, T. (2012). “Sludge reduction by lumbriculus variegatus in Ahvas wastewater treatment plant.” Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Sciences and Engineering, 9 (4), 1-5.
57. Wang, Z., Yu, H., Ma, J., Zheng, X., and Wu, Z. (2013). “ Recent advances in membrane bio-technologies for sludge reduction and treatment.” J. Biotechnology Advances, 31 (8), 1187-1199.
58. Uan, D.K., Yeom, I.T., Arulazhagan, P., and Rajesh Banu, J. (2013). “Effects of sludge pretreatment on sludge reduction in a lab-scale anaerobic/anoxic/oxic system treating domestic wastewater.” J. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol., 10, 495-502.
59. Laurent, J., Jaziri, K., Guignard, R., Casellas, M., and Dagot, C. (2011). “Comprehensive insight of the performances of excess sludge reduction by 90 ◦C thermal treatment coupled with activated sludge at pilot scale: COD and N removal, bacterial populations, fate of heavy metals.” J. Process Biochemistry, 46,
60. Troiani, C., Eusebi, A.L., and Battistoni, P. (2011). “Excess sludge reduction by biological way: From experimental experience to a real full scale application.” J. Bioresource Technology, 102,10352-10358.
61. Tian, Y., and Lu, Y. (2010). “Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification process in a new Tubificidae-reactor for minimizing nutrient release during sludge reduction.” J. Water Research, 34,6031-6040.
62. Hendrickx, T.L.G., Temmink, H., Elissen, H.J.H., and Buisman, CJN. (2009). “The effect of operating conditions on aquatic worms eating waste sludge.” J. Water Research, 43, 943-950.
63. Liang, P., Huang, X., and Qian, Y. (2006). “Excess sludge reduction in activated sludge process through predation of Aeolosoma hemprichi.” J. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 28, 117-122.
64. Tian, Y., Lu, Y., Chen, L., Lin, H. (2010). “Optimization of process conditions with attention to the sludge reduction and stable immobilization in a novel Tubificidae-reactor.” J. Bioresource Technology, 101,
65. Huang, X., Liang, P., and Qian, Y. (2007). “Excess sludge reduction induced by Tubifex tubifex in a recycled sludge reactor.” Journal of Biotechnology, 127, 443-451.