عنوان مقاله [English]
Environmental and health hazards are regarded among the problems associated with the disposal of raw or undertreated wastewaters containing reactive dyes discharged into the environment, and especially into receiving waters. Conventional treatment methods lack the desirable efficiency in removing these compounds. For this type of wastewater, researchers, therefore, recommend methods, collectively called "advanced oxidation processes" such as the Fenton process, that are capable of removing toxic and non-biodegradable compounds. This experimental-intervention study was carried out on the laboratory scale to investigate the Rodamine B and COD removal efficiency of the Fenton oxidation process. The effects of such parameters as H2O2, Fe2+, and reaction time were investigated using a 1-L batch reactor. The results revealed that the process achieved a decolorization efficiency of 58% and a COD removal of 48% after 60 min of reaction time when the initial concentrations of Rodamine B, COD, Fe2+, and H2O2 in the influent were 100 mg/L, 270 mg/L, 40 mg/L, and 200 mg/L, respectively, at a constant pH level of 3.
1. Malik, R., Ramteke, D.S., and Waste, S.R. (2007). “Adsorption of malachite green on groundnut shell waste based powdered activated carbon.” J. Waste Management, 27, 1129-1138.
2. Dos Santos, A.B., Cervantes, F. J., and Vanlier, J.B. (2007). “Review paper on current technologies for decolourisation of textile wastewaters: Perspectives for anaerobic biotechnology.” J. Bioresour. Technol., 98 (12), 2369-2385.
3. Ahmet, Z., and Gulbeyi, D. (2007). “Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution by dehydrated wheat bran carbon.” J. Hazard. Mater., 146, 262-269.
4. Daneshvar, N., Khataee, A. R., Rasolifard, M.H., and SeyedDeraji, M.S. (2007). “Removal of organic dyes from industrial wastewaters using UV/H2O2, UV/H2O2/Fe (II), UV/H2O2/Fe (III) processes.” J. Water and Wastewater, 61, 34-42. (In Persian)
5. Movahedian Attar, H., and Rezaei, R. (2006), “Investigate the efficiency of photochemical advanced oxidation technology (AOP) in dye degradation process of poly Azo directly with UV/H2O2.,” J. Water and Wastewater, 59, 83-75. (In Persian)
6. Amina, A., and Badie, S. (2008). Removal of methylene blue by carbons derived from peach stones by H3PO4 activation: Batch and column studies.” Dyes Pigm., 76, 282-289.
7. Kargozoglu, B., Tasdemir, M., and Demirbas, E. (2007). The adsorption of basic dye from aqueous solution onto sepiolite,fly ash and apricot!shell activated carbon.” J. Hazard. Mater., 147, 297-306.
8. Alizadeh, R., and Borghei, S.M. (2006). “The use of granular activated carbon to remove organic matter and biological carbon in the process of textile dye wastewater.” J. of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, 25(3), 21-28.
9. Aliabadi, M., Fazel, Sh., and Vahabzadeh, F. (2009). “Application of acid cracking and fenton processes in treating olive oil wastewater.” J. Water and Wastewater, 57, 30-36. (In Persian)
10. Mousavi, S.A.R., Mahvi, A.H., Mesdaghinia, A.R., Naseri, S., and Henry, H.R. (2009). “Fenton advanced oxidation process efficiency detergent to reduce pollution in the water.” J. of Water and Wastewater, 4,
16-23. (In Persian)
11. Ali Abadi, M., Myrarefyn, S. M., and MogadamRezaei, M. (2006). “Application, advanced oxidation process fenton in decreasing emissions of industrial wastewater.” J. of Advanced Research, 2, 49-53.
12. Marco, A. E., and Splugus, G. S. (1997). “How and why combined chemical and biological processes for waste watertreatment.” Wat. Sci. Tech., 35 (4), 321-327.
13. Ostra, M., Ubide, C., and Zuriarrain, J. (2007). “Interference modeling, experimental design and preconcentration steps in validation of the fentons reagent for pesticides determination.” J. Analytica Chimical, 584, 228-235.
14. Chan, K.H., and Chu, W. (2007). “Modeling the reaction kinetics of fenton’s process on the removal of atrazine.” J. Chemosphere, 51 (4), 305-311.
15. Beltran, F.J., Garcia-Araya, J.F., and Alvarez, P.M. (2000). “Continuous flow integrated chemical (ozone) – activated sludge system treating combined agroindustrial- domestic wastewater.” J. Environmental Progress, 19, 28-35.
16. Malakootian, M., and Assadi, M. (2010) “Efficiency of Fenton oxidation in removal phenol of aqueous solutions.” J. Water and Wastewater, 79, 46-52. (In Persian)
17. Blanco, J., Torrades, F., De la Varga, M., and García-Montaño, J. (2012). “Fenton and biological-fenton coupled processes for textile wastewater treatment and reuse.” Desalination, 286, 394-399.
18. Panizza, M., and Cerisola, G. (2009). “Electro-fenton degradation of synthetic dyes.” Water Research, 43(2),
19. Perkowski, J., and Kos, L. (2002). “Treatment of textile dyeing wastewater by hydrogen peroxide and ferrous ions.” J. Fibres and Textiles In Eastern Europe, 2002, 78-81.
20. Bahmani, P., Maleki, A. , Ghahremani, A., and Kohzadi, Sh. (2013). “Efficiency of fenton oxidation process in removal of remazol black-B from aqueous.” J. of Health, 4(1), 57-67.
21. APHA, AWWA,WPCF. (2005). Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 21th Ed., American Public Health Association/American Water Works Association, Water Pollution Control Federation, Washington DC, USA.
22. Ali Abadi, M., Fazel, Sh., and Vahabzadeh, F. (2006). “Practical application of acid cracking process. Fenton.” J. of WaterandWastewater, 57, 30-36. (In Persian)
23. Kestioglu, K., Yonar, T., and Azbar, N. (2005). “Feasibility of physico-chemical treatment and advanced oxidation processes(AOPs) as a means of pretreatment of oilve mill effluent.” J. Process Biochemistry, 40(7), 2409-2416.
24. Deng, Y., and Englehardt, J. D. (2006). “Treatment of landfill leachate by the fenton processes.” Water Res.,40 (20) 3683-3694.
25. Mei-Fang Hou, Lin Liao, Wei-De Zhang, Xiao-Yan Tang, Hong-Fu Wan, and Guang-Cai Yin (2011). “Degradation of rhodamine B by Fe(0)-based Fenton process with H2O2. ” Chemosphere, 83, 1279-1283.
26. Xiaofei Xue, Khalil Hanna, and Nansheng Deng. (2009). “Fenton-like oxidation of Rhodamine B in the presence of two types of iron (II, III) oxide.” J. of Hazardous Materials, 166, 407-414.
27. Wu, J.J., Muruganandham, M., Yang, J.S., and Lin, S.S. (2006). “Oxidation of DMSO on goethite catalyst in the presence of H2O2 at neutral pH.” Catal. Commun, 7, 901-906.
28. Pei Pei Gan, and Sam Fong Yau Li. (2013). “Efficient removal of Rhodamine B using a rice hull-based silica supported iron catalyst by fenton-like process.” Chemical Engineering Journal, 229, 351-363.