عنوان مقاله [English]
Aerobic treatment processes with fixed growths exhibit a high efficiency not only in the removal of organic materials and phosphorus but also in the nitrification process (conversion of ammonium to nitrate) in wastewater. The present study aims to evaluate the performance of activated sludge with a submerged fixed bed in the removal of phosphorus and nitrogen compounds from wastewater. For this purpose, a reactor was initially constructed and commissioned before the activated sludge with a submerged fixed bed was loaded. A total number of 225 samples were collected from the wastewater treatment plant at Farabi General Hospital in Kermanshah to evaluate the removal efficiency of ammonia nitrogen, total nitrogen, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate over three different retention times (2.9 hours of aerobic and 1.1 hours of anaerobic operation; 3.6 hours ofaerobic and 1.4 hours of anaerobic operation; and 4 hours of aerobic and 1.5 hours of anaerobic operation). Phosphorus, ammonia nitrogen, nitrite, and nitrate measurements were performed according to the Standard methods 4500-P, 4500-NH3, 4500-NO2, and 4500-NO3, respectively. Results showed that the highest phosphorus removal (53%) was achieved with Phase III of the system (i.e., 4 hours of aerobic plus 1.5 hours of anaerobic operation) while the highest ammonia nitrogen removal (97%) and TKN (96%) were achieved in Phase II of the system (i.e., 3.6 hours of aerobic and 1.4 hours of anaerobic operation). Significant differences (Pvalue<0.05) were observed among the mean values for the removal efficiencies of these parameters in the three retention times. The optimum time for the removal of ammonia nitrogen was estimated at 3.6 hours of aerobic and 1.4 hours of anaerobic operation and that for the removal of phosphorus was 4 hours of aerobic and 1.5 hours of anaerobic operation. Based on the results obtained, it may be claimed that the activated sludge process with the submerged fixed bed exhibits a high efficiency for the removal of phosphorus and nitrogen compounds from hospital wastewater only if the system is properly operated and maintained.
10. Kermani, M., Bina, B., Movahedian, H., Amin, M.M., and Nikaein, M. (2008). “Application of moving bed biofilm process for biological organics and nutrients removal from municipal wastewater.” American J. of Environmental Sciences, 4(6), 675-682.
11. Rusten, B., Hem, L., and degaard, H. (1995). “Nitrification of municipal wastewater in moving-bed biofilm reactors.” J. of Water Environ Res, 67, 75-86.
12. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (2009). Nutrient control design manual: State of technology review report, Washington, D.C. USA.
13. Jayaraj, S.L., and Latha, P. (2009). “Upflow anaerobic and aerobic fixed bed reactor for simultaneous COD and Nitrogen removal from municipal wastewater.” 10th National Conference on Technological Trends 2009 (NCTT09), Trivandrum, Kerala, India.
14. Biplob, P., Fatihah, S., Shahrom, Z., and Ahmed, E. (2011). “Nitrogen-removal efficiency in an upflow partially packed biological aerated filter (BAF) without backwashing process.” J. of Water Reuse and Desalination, 1(1), 27-35.
15. Araújo, M.M.D., and Zaiatb, M. (2009). “An upflow fixed-bed anaerobic–aerobic reactor for removal of organic matter and nitrogen from L-lysine plant wastewater.” Canadian J. of Civil Engineering, 36(6),
16. Khorsandi, H., Movahedyan, H., Bina, B., and Farrokhzadeh, H. (2008). “Innovative anaerobic up flow sludge blanket filtration combined bioreactor for nitrogen removal from municipal wastewater.” Int. J. of Environ. Sci. Tech., 8(2), 417-424.
17. Ahmed, M., Idris, A., and Adam, A. (2007). “Combined anaerobic-aerobic system for treatment of textile wastewater.” J. of Engineering Science and Technology, 2(1), 55-69.
18. Dehghani, M., and Kermanshahi, M. (2009). “The study of biological efficiency of batch reactor consecutive for Phosphorus removal in wastewater of Shiraz city.” 12th National Conference on Environmental Health, Beheshti University of Medical Science, Tehran. (In Persian)
19. Kocadagistan, B., Kocadagistan, E., Topcu, N., and Demircio, N. (2005). “Wastewater treatment with combined upflow anaerobic fixed-bed and suspended aerobic reactor equipped with a membrane unit.”
J. of Process Biochemistry, 40(1), 177-182.
20. Aganeghad, M., Mesdaginia, A.R., and Vaezi, F. (2009). “Determining the efficiency of WWTP in Khoy power plant and improving phosphorus removal by Anoxic-Oxic process Iran.” J. of Health and Environ, 2(1), 66-75. (In Persian)