عنوان مقاله [English]
Extraction of sugar from sugarcane produces a high volume of effluent carrying large amounts of organics and BOD5. Discharging the effluent into rivers and into the environment endangers the aquatic life and increases the risks of environmental pollution. This study was conducted in 2012 to determine the kinetic coefficients of the anaerobic treatment systems (UASB) at the wastewater treatment plant of Imam Khomeini Sugarcane Agro-industrial Plant in Shushtar. The parameters of BOD5, COD, and TSS were measured at the inlet and outlet of the WWTP. Subsequently, the operation and design parameters of the system were determined. Using the modified Monod Equations, the kinetic coefficients Ks, Y, Kd, μ max, and K max for employing the UASB process at the WWPT in question were calculated as 506.4mg/l, 0.11 g VSS/g COD, 0.0045 d-1, 0.0069 d-1, and 0.055 d-1, respectively. The kinetic coefficients obtained in this study can be used in the steering and operation as well as fundamental design of similar plants, especially in hot areas.
10. Shiroee, S. (2011). “To evaluate performance and determine the coefficients, kinetics biological process of activated sludge wastewater treatment plant in Ahwaz.” M.Sc. Thesis, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch of Khuzestan, Ahvaz, Iran. (In Persian)
11. Borjai, R., and Banks, C.J. (1994). “Kinetics of an up flow an aerobic sludge blanket reactor treating ice-cream wastewater.” J. of Environ. Sci. Health, 29(10), 2063-2085.
12. Brito, A.G., and Fmelo, L. (1996). “A simplified analysis of reaction and mass transfer in UASB and EGSB Reactors.” J. of Environmental Technology, 81, 35-44.
13. Tauzene, M., and Milton, C. (2011). “Determination of kinetic parameters of an up-flow anaerobic sludge blanked reactor (UASB), treating swine wastewater.” J. of Cienc. agrotec., Lavras, 35 (6), 1204-1210.
14. AWWA., WPCF. (2005). Standard method for the examination of water and wastewater, USA.
15. Isik, M., and Sponza, D.T. (2005). “Substrate removal kinetics in an upflow anaerobic sludgeblanket reactor decolorising simulated textile wastewater.” J. of Process Biochemistry, 40, 1189-1198.
16. Izanloo, H., and Takdastan, A. (2010). “Wastewater treatment, concept. and design.” J. of Mehr, 4, 86-98.
17. Talaie, A., and Jafarzadeh, R.N. (2010). “The Determination of bio-kinetic coefficients of grude oil biodegradation using Pseudomonas Aeruginosa bacteria.” Iran J. of Health and Environ., 3(2), 111-122.
18. Perez, J., Aldana, G., and Cardenas, C. (2012). “Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor (UASB) performance through sludge age load and kinetic coefficients.” J. of Rev. Tec. Ing. Unv. Zulia., 35(1), 98-108.
19. Laor, Y., Storm, P.F., and Farmer, W.J. (1999). “Bioavailability of phenanthrene sorbed to mineral-associated humic acid.” J. of Water Research, 33 (7), 1719-1729.